[tlug] can't upgrade packages in debian

Hello,

I ran into problems after trying to do a package upgrade in debian
(running on a kurobox-pro) with "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade"
. The latter command hanged the console after showing a "Hangup"
message. Now, when I try to do an apt-get update or upgrade I have the
following message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.

If I ran this command I get:

# dpkg --configure -a
Setting up locales (2.3.6.ds1-13etch5) ...
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  ja_JP.EUC-JP... done
  ja_JP.UTF-8...Hangup

Any tips on where I should start looking to solve the problem?  I am a
completely ignorant about debian package management (pointers to
how-tos or tutorials are very welcome).

Thanks,
Hector