Re: [tlug] Re: "Password on localhost"

On 2008-03-11 16:14 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> This, however, is a solved problem.  Use TeX. ;-)

I tried it. The document I was sent looked even worse after running it
through TeX. :-)

(I don't use OpenOffice for originating documents except under very rare
circumstances; I find the user interface a total PITA.)

>  >     2. Viewing the same web page in Linux Firefox versus NetBSD Firefox,
>  >     both running on my NetBSD laptop and using the same X server, gives
>  >     me quite noticably different textual output (different fonts,
>  >     different formatting).
>
> That's no bug, that is a feature.

I'd be curious as to what is useful or good about this "feature."

> Yah, but AFAICT DVI and Postscript really are device-independent.

Yes. But you've inadvertantly hit on the exact point here: DVI and
Postscript are both device-independent, but you cannot arbitrarially
convert one to the other with perfect accuracy. Now add in all of the
other rendering engines of various sorts used by various manufacturers.

cjs