Re: [tlug] Re: "Password on localhost"

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 02:03:28AM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:

> Hrrm, so basically, Ubuntu's current security model means that you have
> to google to get printing working?
>
> Sigh--with CUPS now being owned by Apple, it could almost be a slogan.
>
> Apple and Ubuntu--working together to make Microsoft the more attractive
> alternative.

Just to clarify here--my point isn't that one shouldn't google, and I'm
not even, in the above statement, making fun of a sarcastic slogan I
once heard about Ubuntu--something like, "Ubuntu--because you're too
stupid to have a root password."

My point is that Ubuntu, as well as several others, are trying to create
a userfriendly, almost Windows like system.  They're already working
under the major handicap of things like proprietary wireless drivers.

If they're going to have such a model, something as basic as printing
should Just Work(TM).

I repeat, it is quite possible that it usually does, and this was just
an oddball exception.   In general, one has to hand it to Ubuntu for
raising the bar.  They've brought in an influx of users, which will, in
the long and possibly even the short run, be a help in getting some of
this proprietary hardware working with OSS.

Had they not become so popular, who knows if Dell would have started
making Linux friendly laptops.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: In order...to be worthy...you must perform the
ritual...in a tutu. Pillock!
Angel: All right, someone get the chain saw.