[tlug] OT: yahoo.co.jp ending web mail

steven smith writes:

 > I'd just like to understand what's going on.

Well, for one thing your mail client (Thunderbird?) seems to be
broken.  The attachment is encoded in UTF-8, I think, but the header
says it's US-ASCII (by omission, which defaults to US-ASCII).

 > いつもYahoo!メールをご利用いただ纔瘢韭絎竢蹉りがとうございます。Yahoo!メー
 > ルより、Yahoo!メールアプリのサービス終了のお知らせです。
[snip]
 > なお、モバイル版Yahoo!メール、Yahoo! mocoaを引き続き提供いいきます
 > ので、今後はそちらをご利用いただ纔瘢韭絎竢蹙お願いいたします。

According to my wife (both a Yahoo user and a native speaker), the
Yahoo MailApp is a way to read your freemail from your keitai, while
Yahoo!mocoa is a fee-based service.  So your freemail is safe, but you
won't be able to read it from your keitai after 4/9, at least not
without somehow connecting it to mocoa.

My wife's evaluation of this is 「あたし、関係ないけど、ふざけてんじゃ
ん?」 ("I don't care, but seems like they're just screwing around.")