Re: [tlug] Dual booting LINUX from an external USB-connected drive

On 2008-03-04 13:15 +0900 (Tue), Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:

> > Historical reasons, basically. The /dev/hd* (IDE and older variations)
> >  devices and /dev/sd* (SCSI) devices used to have quite different
> >  drivers. They now share a lot of code, but not device names.
>
> It seems that they share the *same* code.
> I've just looked at 2.6.9-42 kernel drivers/usb/storage Makefile and
> it turned out that usb-storage was linked back to drivers/scsi.

I was talking about hd and sd devices now sharing code. I believe
that usb and scsi devices have always shared code. On much older
(Shugart-style MFM, etc.) style "hd" disk systems, however, the command
set was quite different from SCSI; the similarities with SCSI only came
with the IDE/ATA standards.

cjs