[tlug] Disk Encryption (Was: Speaking of computer usage ....)

On 2008-02-29 22:30 -0800 (Fri), SL Baur wrote:

> On 2/29/08, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>
> > No. For example, a reasonably well encrypted disk partition will give
> >  nothing away in any reasonable amount of time (e.g., the next few years,
> >  at least) to anybody who doesn't have the key.
>
> Quote and link below.
> [http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1257]

Ah, yes, this is the exact "recent Felten paper" I mentioned in another
post as a reason to turn off your computer. Note also that unmounting
an encrypted partition will also, with most reasonable disk encryption
systems, clear the key from memory.

> If you feel safe, cool!  You're not but whatever works for you.

I quite disagree. But perhaps youc an explain to me why I'm not safe.

    1. My most important files are encrypted with PGP, and I do not use
    a key agent. What is the attack against my laptop to which these are
    vulnerable?

    2. When I'm not using it, I shut down my laptop. What is the attack
    against my laptop to which the encrypted partitions are vulnerable?

For the purposes of your explanation, consider me a computer security
expert. (Most people would.) I'll ask if I don't understand something.

cjs