Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

On 2008-03-01 03:13 +0900 (Sat), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Do either of you remember the last time you rebooted because of an OS
> fault?

All the time. Often my own fault, of course, and Xen is god's gift to
kernel hackers.

On 2008-02-29 16:26 -0800 (Fri), SL Baur wrote:

> The only reason I can ever see for turning off a notebook as versus
> just putting it to sleep is airplane travel.

There are other very good reasons. For example: if you suspend or
hibernate your PC, any encryption keys that are in memory, or will be
brought back into memory on wakeup, are easily available to anybody
with physical access to the machine. (See the recent Ed Felten, et al.,
paper that's been getting all the publicity. The attack is so easy I'd
be surprised if we didn't see prepackaged tools to do this all over the
place within months.)

cjs