Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 03:13:15AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> A professional is a person who (a) keeps her own tools sharp (and
> perhaps even builds them herself), and (b) has a set of ethical
> principles about how to treat clients that sometimes get in the way of
> clocking out at 5pm.

Here, let me quote Anthony de Boer in a 2004 USENET posting:

    I've become convinced that professionalism and craftsmanship
    are almost but not quite orthagonal to each other.  Being a
    professional means having been in the racket long enough to know
    exactly how crappy it can be and still pass muster.  Being a
    craftsman means doing it to the best of your abilities even if
    you know a lesser effort would be accepted by others.

What you're talking about up there is craftsmanship, not
professionalism.

--Dave