[tlug] Linux crashed, won't start up. Recovery?

TLUG,

I have a Linux box dedicated to running MythTV. Specifically, it uses the Mythbuntu variation of Ubuntu.

Been working like a dream for ages and ages. Then, last night while watching a show, it suddenly freezes.

This morning, I reboot it, and I get a warning message saying that the disk is 100% full. Strange. But, I figure I'm storing a lot of video files, which can add up. So I delete a few, thinking that that will buy me some gigabytes of room to spare.

While I'm doing maintenance, I figure I might as well take care of the little update notification icon that's been telling me there are lots of upgrades, and a new kernel.

I start the upgrade, and it crashes. Strange.

It's only at this point that I realize that I cleared space off the wrong partition. I have most of my video files on a partition mounted at /home. The partition that is full is the root partition. Doh!

But... I don't store any data that I know of on the root partition, so what's up with that?

I ask about this situation on the MythTV mailing list, and someone suggests that it could be a log file that's filled up the root partition. Sure enough, there's a 7 gigabyte log file.

I delete it, but the damage has been done.

I reboot, and the boot up graphic, with a progress bar, shows up. Halfway through the process, it dies, and this is what it says:

fsck.ext3:Unable to resilve UUID=93d7d0a9-f9cb-4096-8925-e413e3ed79bc'
fsck died with exit status 8    [fail]
* File system check failed
A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if hat location is writable.
Please repair the file system manually.
* A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and resume system boot.
bash: no job control in this shell
bash: groups: command not found
bash: lesspipe: command not found
bash: Command: command not found
bash: The: command not found
bash: dircolors: command not found
bash: Command: command not found
bash: The: command not found

I checked the log files suggested in the error message, and it contained the same info as the error message.

Then I press ctrl-D, and it ends up at a blank screen.

So...

It suggest I can manually repair the disk, as the message suggests?

Can I recover this installation? I went through a lot to get it set up just right... I really don't want to have to redo all of it.

Thanks.