Re: [tlug] Asus EEE in Japan [C&C]

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:05:11AM +0900, Josh wrote:
> On 27/01/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>
> > As for non-software freedom, I think the idea of replacing the OS on a
> > PC is kinda revolutionary in a country where I've met people who don't
> > know that the lid on a toilet tank comes off.
>
> I stashed my bundled copy of Windows 'neath the lid on said toilet
> tank after reading your email and realising that the lid comes off.
> Thanks for the tip! ;)

For what it's worth, if the eee is a 32 bit chipset, madwifi recently
released a driver that works.  (That's assuming that, like the US, it's
using the Atheros 5007EG wireless card.  AFAIK, the 5211 ndiswrapper one
doesn't support WPA2, but that's not thoroughly tested.)

No, I didn't buy one--originally, they were going to be sold at $200 but
$300 seemed pricey for what it was.

These cards are, at least in the US, becoming quite popular in the lower
priced laptops.  I have my little guide of course, at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/rhwireless.html.  Fedora
oriented, but should work for most systems.

(There is an Ubuntu guide on their forums too.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: What are you doing?
Willow: Oh. Sorry. The reflection thing that you don't have...Angel,
how do you
shave?