Re: [tlug] Any experience working with Coraid EtherDrives?

On Wednesday, January 09, 2008, at 01:39PM, "Al Hoang" <hoanga@example.com> wrote:
>Hi TLUGers,
>
>    I've been proposing getting a Coraid EtherDrive [1] to handle our storage needs at work
>however have found the information on it a little sparse for my liking [2] - [13].  Have any
>TLUGers had any experience working with one of these devices?  If so, how have you found it?
>Works as advertised?  Works but there are some gotchas... ?   Not recommended?

Hi Alain,

Some people on the xen-users list are proponents of AoE and IIRC were using Coraid drives.

AoE itself works well, at least for me ;-)

You have to understand that it is a Ethernet protocol, and so will work best when it is dedicated.
(think also about security)

>    If you don't recommend a Coraid system, what would you recommend for a storage array instead?

Are you looking at mounting individual disks from the pool of storage, or are you
looking at making one storage/file server ?

If your goal is to make a storage server (with separate storage and the running server (cpu)) my list is:

1. Fiber channel storage arrays. Latency is very low. Kick-ass for databases etc.
But cost and the need for host adapters and fiber cables
can be an issue.

2. SCSI storage arrays. Cheaper than the above, but includes the HA and cable hassles. Great
performance.

3. eSATA arrays. Cheap.

--
Henri