Re: [tlug] Help: unrecognized disk

Godwin Stewart writes:

 > People have been mentioning gentoo and ubuntu a lot in this thread. They're
 > not the only distros available, you know.
 >
 > Ubuntu is out AFAIAC. I know several people who are always telling me that
 > it "just works" whenever they add new hardware (webcam, erxternal disk
 > mounted automatically etc), which basically means bloat and too many things
 > running in the background. I don't want that.

But the OP did.  I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu (every time it's
mentioned on this list I get this sinking "there goes the
neighborhood" feeling and tighten my firewall), but it's better than
the main alternative (hint, the kernel running is not related to Unix,
except for ripping off the BSD TCP/IP stack).

Almost all people have more money than brains (at least when it comes
to the resources they want to devote to their computers).  I see no
real alternative to providing a Unixoid system that Just Works if we
want to wean the world off of Microsoft.