[tlug] Ubuntu suspend/resume

I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) on my old desktop.  A
 minor (but annoying nonetheless) problem I am having is getting
 suspend/resume to work properly.  Suspending seems OK, but when I resume, I
 lose the video entirely (just a black screen).  The machine is actually
 running (I can ssh and see shared volumes), just no video, so obviously
 there is problem in dealing with the video card when resuming.

I've tried some of the suggestions in this bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/46064

including changing settings in /etc/defaults/acpi-support and
 /etc/X11/xorg.conf as well as experimenting with different power management BIOS
 settings (S1 vs. S3 resume) to no avail. I am using a rather old
 desktop (circa 2002) with a NVIDIA GeForce4 graphics card, so I wonder if
 that could be a problem.  Otherwise, Ubuntu is running like a champ on my
 machine.

Any ideas?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Peter Jacobs
pjacobs@example.com