[tlug] Re: webcam

From: Darren Cook <darren@example.com>

>/../does anyone have
>specific recommendations (or avoids) for something I'll find at Bic
>Camera (or amazon jp, etc.)? I'm guessing everything is USB? I want
>something that is plug-n-play with linux, at least on ubuntu 7.10.

uvc drivers are I understand the most modern, and my Logitech 9000 Pro
worked with them out of the box with both v4l2 and v4l apps. However,
it still depends on the app what video options it can handle properly.
So although some v4l apps work fine on some of my PCs, SkyPE only
works on a few of them, with interlacing problems on the others. With
opensource apps a solution will likely be quickly implemented...

Check out the uvc drivers page. I see that several of the Logitech
Fusion and x000 series are supported. Also make sure that you get 2007
models rather than the same camera produced in 2006, since there have
reportedly been firmware changes. Also, I understand the Microsoft
webcams will work fine.

HTH, Gernot