Re: [tlug] Asus EEE

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 06:39:12AM +0900, CL wrote:

Tiffany Aching, wasn't it?

Yup, that's it. By the way, don't you think Gene Hackman would be great in the role of Sam Vines?

The problem with taking that role to film is that the true character of Sam Vimes isn't in the acting, it's in what he is thinking while the rest of the world act like complete idiots. Having recently re-read "Thud" (when an Amazon order got hung up due to some idiot who clicked on "send them all together" and I found myself bookless for 24 hours) I don't see ol' Gene doing the "Thin Brown Streak" scene where The Watch has to interpose itself between the dwarves and trolls. It calls for someone taller, thinner, and more public schoolish, IMNSHO.

I guess you must be feeling quite lucky if you're going to install Xandros.

I didn't realize one has to register for a download--I'm going to pass,
I'm afraid.

Paul Allen's money is the biggest chunk of cash behind Xandros. That seems to be why they do more MS-ish things than most other distros. Also, Xandros is looking more at the corporate server market and personal information is cheap to those types. They'll fill in any set of blanks set in front of them. Those server guys ruin it for the rest of us ... :-)

However, I really do suspect that it will be relatively easy to install
some other versions of Linux on the machine. They say you can install
XP, so I'm guessing that other versions of Linux would work.

Although I now laugh at how little I knew when I embarked on my first Linux install, I'd probably opt for XP just because it does J<->E much better out of the box. Now, if that 4GB drive is just a bootable SD card, I'd have the courage to see how badly I could screw up a Kubuntu install knowing that I can run back and hide behind the Gates -- and will be able to shout for help -- any time I get something wrong.

--
CL