Re: [tlug] Yet Another ISP Question - dynamic IP addresses

On 11/17/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> What you could try, Keith, is using the -r option to dhcpcd (I assume
> dhclient has it too).  Just probe the address space available to DHCP
> until you get a different address.  I suspect that most providers will
> configure to ignore/refuse this option, but worth a shot.

This is pretty much the only option that I have thought (probably
should have mentioned that in the initial post), and where I'm testing
at the moment does not seem to want to play the game. I'm actually
complaining about having a stable ADSL connection with a stable IP
address (no changes in four months), quite an odd complaint...

Also, not surprisingly when I call ISPs to try and elicit information
reference their DHCP setup they sort of clam up and not want to
cooperate at all. Mysterious ;)

So I suppose what I'm really looking for is. People who know of an
ADSL service that has rather short lease length times, or ISPs who do
not ignore release and renew requests.

Regards, Keith