Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 7.10 and Japanese input (scim anthy)

> This mail differs from a useful tutorial in one important area: I have a
> question. Where should I put:
>   GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>
> so that it will apply to all users and applications every time the
> system starts up? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the gnome
> equivalent of /etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile ?

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default

Except it doesn't work for setting environment variables. However it
does work for running the xmodmap command below.

What did work was putting:
  GTK_IM_MODULE=scim

into /etc/profile! For those wanting a scim tutorial that is the final
step, no need to read any further.

However I also put this line in /etc/profile:
  DARREN_TEST_A="Hello World A"

and yet that is not set. There is something weird going on here, but as
scim now works I guess I will never find out what...

> P.S. I have a similar question for this setting:
>  xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock"
>
> (http://www.peterbe.com/Disable-Caps-Lock-in-Linux)
> I can put it in /etc/bash.bashrc but caps-lock is still enabled until I
> start my first shell window. Surely there is a way to get it disabled
> before that?

I found out about a file called ~/.Xkbmap from reading comments in gdm
configuration files. This is quite definitely where this kind of
configuration should go. However it does not work. Put the xmodmap
command in /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default instead.

Darren@example.com