Re: [tlug] xml to pdf

Birkir A. Barkarson wrote:
> Same thing with DocBook

Thanks Charles and Birkir for the suggestions; I wasn't familiar with
TEI so had a quick look. If the original XML was this well formatted my
life would be easy (but then my clients probably wouldn't need me :-).

Michael Smith wrote:
> You could create a CSS stylesheet for it, then use Prince[1] to
> create a PDF.
>
> [1] http://www.princexml.com/

Thanks, it looks interesting; I'll give it a look if using firefox is
inadequate.

(I've not tried yet; I am waiting for the client to tell me this is the
most urgent next task.)

Jep wrote:
> What program was the XML file created with?
> What did the creator of the data expect to view the XML file with?

When I asked how the XML was created I was told by hand. When I then
asked how the 250 page PDF of the same data was created I was told by
hand. When I suggested the only way that could be economically feasible
was if they have a highly educated slave labour source, and they need to
stop messing around and tell me which program they used, they get kept
quiet.

The XML file is the built-in help for a Windows program. Presumably
there is some Windows component that is quite happy to use an XML file
that embeds HTML and uses entities inconsistently :-).

Darren