RE: [tlug] How to change IRQ address for a sound card?

Using Ubuntu here, but Gentoo did similar.

I discovered not too long ago, that if you go into the sound mixer
and set the master volume most of the way up, or all the way if you
have better speakers, then set the mixer to adjust the PCM volume not
the master volume.  The default settings for both ALSA and OSS is to
adjust the master volume.  Not intuitive on many internal sound chips.
:-)

I can only guess at the cause for the behavior, but my guess would be
that the media software tries to make due with a weak signal when the
settings on the master volume don't quite jive with the settings in
the program.  ;-)

Hopefully this is helpful.  I was pulling my hair out for a week before
I stumbled upon that.  Seems to be one of the first things I should have
tried, but you know how it can be sometimes when troubleshooting.  :P It
can't be the obvious solution, right? hehehe.

--
Ken