Re: [tlug] Where can I buy Debian CDs in Tokyo?

Josh Glover writes:

 > On 26/09/2007, Nguyen Vu Hung <vu-hung@example.com> wrote:
 >
 > > I think 孔子 is the one to praise for keeping Chinese and unchanged.
 > > When they come to another country, they bring their language, food and
 > > culture with them. They are "strong opinion" - like us  :P - and they
 > > think it is OK not to be changed ( or to adapt ) anywhere, anytime.

I think you mean "assimilate", not "adapt".

 > I consider that a bug, not a feature. But then again, I am one of
 > those (rare?) Americans who believes that the "mixing pot" is the
 > secret to America's success. Too bad the grandchildren and children of
 > immigrants in Congress have forgotten that...

The melting pot can still be found in the mills in Pittsburgh.

I agree with you that the melting pot is the key to America's success.
But you should remember that America responded to each wave of
immigration by adapting to the immigrants, as well as vice versa.  I
see no contradiction between being a stubborn people and adapting well
to America.

I also think that one aspect of the melting pot is that America's
demand is basically "you need to be able to read the ballot and
bargain in the market, so learn that much English".  But what you do
and speak at home is your own business.  America's melting pot is not
a French fondue (or a Japanese o-den, for that matter), it's an Irish
stew.