Re: [tlug] IBM joins the OpenOffice.org Community

2007/9/12, Shin MICHIMUKO <smitimko@example.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I was simply glad to know that OO is gathering more supports in the
> industry.
For a time, it would be good. The question is: Where does IBM going to go, NEXT?

> Just for a reminder, JFS (Journaled File System) on Linux was released
> by IBM as GPL code, and it's still supported and updated by IBM. It
> doesn't guarantee the next action, but I hope they will contribute more
> codes on OpenOffice too.

I appreciate what IBM had done for the FOSS community so far: OOo,
Eclipse etc. When it s rival dominantes the market, IBM has nothing to
do but help the community to "take back control"

For projects like Eclipse and OOo is not only funded by IBM developed
by IBM employees. So IBM has the right to drive the roadmap of the
projects. If you resist to the project leader's disicion, you can go
like one of the author of ebXML[1]  This is the point I want to
emphasize. GPL is like that, IBM. IBM owns the code, community helps
making plugins, testing, adding features...

[1] IBM kicked one of the main author of ebXML after he has done his
job. Sorry but I can't find the URL.

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu