Re: [tlug] A place to connect my laptop

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, dave@example.com wrote:

...I got a wireless card, and I was advised off-list that it might be
worth checking to see if there might be a wireless network near enough
my apartment that I could, you know... just kind of go with for the
time being. I feel a little guilty about that though... Should I feel
guilty? Are people with non-secure connections letting them be used,
or is Curt talking about something else with "open connections"?

It's really hard to say. Personally, when I set up an open connection, it's done consciously, and it's there for anybody to use so long as they're reasonable about it. (I.e., don't try to spam through it, don't use it for malicious purposes, don't use huge amounts of bandwidth to the point that it annoys other users of the connection, and so on.)

When peeople have left it open without really considering whether they
want it to be public or not, would they mind others using it? You can't
really know, because they don't even know until they consider the
question.

Sometimes you can tel lby the name of the network. I noticed one open
network the other day called "any"; that they'd deliberately changed the
name to that seemed to me a bit of a clue.

Step two is to maybe sign on for one of the WiFi services like M-Zone or Yahoo's BB Mobile Point. I talked to the services today, and it's only 1500 yen for a month. But it's unclear whether or not the software that lets you log in can only work with Windows, or if it can be done within Linux wireless network settings.

NTT's service will definitely work with Linux; I'd be surprised if any of the other services did not. In most cases, it's either an open WiFi network or one with a well known (to the customers) WEP key, and you're blocked from full Internet access by a firewall until you log in via a web page.

cjs