Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

On 9/6/07, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
> Check whether the router claims support for the hikari type he will be
> changing to.  If you are behind a router then nothing really changes,
> and whether it is Linux or windows is irrelevant.  I have been using
> B-Flets for a number of years without issue.  I have both connected
> directly and currently run through a router.  Be aware that it might not
> be faster then his current ADSL, because although the maximum rated
> speed is more, it is shared between everyone in the building.

Thank you for pointing out the single-pipeline-for-many aspect to it -
that had completely slipped my mind.  I knew it was like that for
cable (cable as in from cable TV companies), but I hadn't realized
that the Hikari fiber was shared in the same way.

Thanks too to everyone else who commented on this issue.  I'll go over
the situation with my friend and see what he wants to do - I'm not
sure which path to recommend....

Lyle