RE: [tlug] Computers as Military Weakness; Copyright and TLUG

Under US copyright law, you don't have to have a registration
to exert ownership of the copyright.  It just makes it easier.[1]

US law states that as soon as it is written down somewhere, it
is copyrighted.  The registration is an extra legal step that
makes it a lot easier to exert your copyright in court. [2]

I read parts of the FAQ while typing this, and realise that
it does not say the same now as it did five years ago, in a
lot of places.  I think we should all read up on it.

Does anyone know a good web site to read up on the Berne
Convention, or copyright law in countries other than the US?
It would seem that US copyright law is shifting a bit.

I almost wrote several pages based on information that is
NOT very old, but still apparently very inaccurate.  I wish
there was more media coverage of such things, and less coverage
of random movie stars running over people's feet.

I know that the media goes for what sells, but I think that
our news outlets have their priorities a little off. :P

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#protect
[1] http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register

[2] The wording is different than it used to be.  Previously,
    registration was not explicitly required in order to file
    suit, it was just highly advised.  Now according to the FAQ
    it is actually required for filing suit.  Additionaly, the
    FAQ used to site what they are calling a "poor mans copyright"
    as less effective.  Now they are saying it is simply unsupported.