Re: [tlug] New computer parts

Time to follow up on some of the replies to my post. I've been away for a few days.

jep200404@example.com wrote:
Get a CPU that has _hardware_ support for virtualization.

Great idea. I am planning to run virtual machines and had forgotten about this option. I'm looking at one of the low wattage AMD E-series processors. As far as I could tell, most of the AMD processors now support virtualization.

--
On firewire: I want firewire capability because I have a digital video camera that makes better use of it than of USB. My other camera etc use USB.

--
gregt@example.com wrote:
A single card with 2 connectors.

I agree. I hadn't noticed before that most DVI connection cards come with VGA adapters. I'll go with an nVidia video card with 2 DVI connectors. Now to figure out which one.

--
I had a ride yesterday so picked up a case & power supply. I'll be looking into getting the rest soon enough.

By the sounds of things, I'd be better off with the main drive being connected via SATA rather than IDE. (I already have a couple large IDE drives I was planning to use.) However, if the speed difference is enough, I may get an SATA drive instead for the main drive.

Thanks everyone for the information. Very helpful.

- Jason