[tlug] Computers as Military Weakness; Copyright and TLUG

Computers as Military Weakness; Copyright and TLUG

CHINFO has an interesting article about computers as a
military weakness. Of course, this is an opportunity (and risk)
for Linux.

   Article #10, "Chinese See Military Dependence On Computers As
   Weakness" by David Lague of International Herald Tribune.
   http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/clips/30aug07.doc

Shawn <javajunkie@example.com> wrote:

> http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/chinfoprivacy.html
>
> All information on this site is considered public information and may be
> distributed or copied.

The beginning of the file I gave the URL for has a banner at
the top that says in part:

   "Further reproduction or distribution is subject to
   original copyright restrictions."

Considering that many of the articles are written by authors
outside the government, it might be that we are not allowed
to copy them. It's unfortunate that the file is in a
proprietary format. When OpenOffice renders the file,
the smaller text in the banner is trimmed to illegibility
as viewed on my computer. This might lead one to inadvertently
think that there are no copyright issues with the articles therein.

Stephen, what comments do you have?

Jim