Re: [tlug] [WAY-OT] US politics: Dog bites man [1]

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Scott Robbins writes:

 >  No doubt, we would have screamed CORRUPTION!

A lot of people have screamed that.  And there were really shady
things happening in Ohio (like Republican-controlled precincts
destroyed about 2/3 of the ballots well before the date to which
they're required to keep them by state law) and several other states,
too.  But remember, in 1960 it kept Nixon out. ;-)

You write as though you think keeping a Republican from attaining office to be a Bad Thing (tm). Actually, all of us kids in grade school in Minnesota in 1960 knew that Kennedy was in league with Orville Freeman, Hubert Humphrey, and Lyndon Johnson in a conspiracy to make the school year two weeks longer and to allow nuns from the local parochial school to teach us non-Catholics.

If you are old enough to recall that election, you are also old enough to recall Cheech and Chong's "Sister Mary Elephant." The local parochial school (St. Rafael's) had several of them and the fear was genuine. We saw all of our Catholic playmates with the switch marks on the backs of their legs and it was genuinely frightening.

--
CL