Re: [tlug] Re: proposal for talk on LaTeX

Gernot Hassenpflug ????????:
Here is a list of the topics I think are relevant for a talk on
understanding and using CJK with LaTeX:

I. review of tex/latex structure, where everything goes in the TDS.
 1. system and local Tex trees
 2. the NFSS and font file generation
 3. PS (Type1), TTF, OTF, encoding vectors
 4. LaTeX/dvips and pdftex
 5. alternatives like luatex (in development), xetex, and others

Can you make it in *ONE* slide for less than 30 seconds?
I think basic definitions and explanations are just enough.

II. multilingual and CJK with LaTeX
1. CJK package, babel, and multilingual LaTeX
2. free fonts, encodings, and usage
3. UTF8 particulars and generation of fonts
Can you make it in *ONE* slide for less than 30 seconds?

The main talk is III. and I think you should focus on LaTeX setup and end up with a proof-of-concept.
Make it short as possible as I can. I don't like overtimed presentations xD.
Josh is genius so don't waste your time on basic stuffs!!! :P

# FYI, Back to the dates when I was in the university,
# I have successfully done a combo of LaTeX + vntex + CJK + UTF-8 + Cyberbit Fonts.
# http://www.fedu.uec.ac.jp/~vuhung/linux/viet-jp-cjk/
III. examples of CJK documents and incorporation of commercial fonts
[snip]
c) [later I want to add this] how to use TTFs directly with pdftex
The author of pdftex - Han The Thanh is/was working on a C wrapper.
I don't know the latest dev. status but it is cool!
It is lite and easy to be invoked from command line.
I can't recall a link but some big company in German is using pdftex to generate her invoices.
d) [maybe] discussion of OTF with LaTeX
Is it superior to TTF? I don't know much about OTF but I think it is old in comparison to TTF.
4. enhancing the business card with new fonts (latex/dvips and pdftex routes)
Can you make a template?
5. making a presentation or poster with Japanese fonts
a) ppower4, powerdot, texpower, pdfscreen, sciposter, pspresent,
chaksem, beamer,
prosper, foiltex, pdfslide, ...
One example using powerdot for presentation and sciposter for poster.
(note on Texpoint and Aurora for MS Windows users using Powerpoint).
Can you make templates and compare the output with MS Word, OpenOffice?