Re: [tlug] New computer parts: USB faster than IDE

Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:

> You concern maybe the speed of the combo: IDE + Firewire. You choices are:
>
> 1. USB 2.0 ( external HDD ) + USB 2.0 ( camera )
> 2. USB 2.0 ( external HDD ) + Firewire ( camera )

> 5. IDE ( HDD ) + Firewire
> 6. IDE ( HDD ) + USB.
>
> ... 6. is the slowest. Don't go for 6 ( or even 5. )
> if you care about the speed.
> IDE is slow ... you will have to wait a long time.

I have almost no experience with high-speed USB,
so you can fill in a missing gap in my knowledge.
Just how fast is external HDD over high speed USB (2.0)?
I'm not asking about the theorhetical limits,
but about _measured_ performance kind of like I did in

   http://tlug@example.com/ML/0708/msg00883.html

Russ Herrold showed a blazing 65Mbyte/s for writing to
a SATA drive with dd if=/dev/zero.

Jim