Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:28:52AM +0900, CL wrote:
It sounded so simple ...

If I have understood the instructions correctly, all that is required is

I believe that they STRONGLY recommend not doing that. Is this really something that won't work with sudo, for example, sudo Kate <filename>?

I'm on Ubuntu and the philosophy is the same.

They do recommend not doing this. I'm not sure quite why though. The one reason that comes to mind is that things done as sudo get logged. In an environment where there are lots of users with root access -- sometimes strange things happen that can only be done as root and no one did them -- they just happened :) This way you know who could have done it. On a large network, I imagine it simplifies things a lot. You might want to try living without the root account for a while and see how it goes.

I think Jim mentioned 'sudo su -' and I use that often.

So far I use sudo <command> for simple things and
'sudo su -' where I need to do a lot as root and am quite happy without a root account.

Have fun.
Steve S.