[tlug] WINE and Removable Devices

Before I take the bull by the tail and do something I may regret, I wanted to ask whether I am thinking of this setup the right way around:

I'd like to try out Skype in Kubuntu using my portable Skype phone. It is a handset made by Hagiwara Sys-Com that connects via a USB + cord. Hardware configuration and setup utilities are stored on a ROM in the handset and are Japanese WIN format.

The first issue is, of course, whether WINE will address a Japanese language setup program. I believe that, if that is a problem, I'll just have to wait for the latest version of WINE which I mentioned in a recent post.

The second issue is whether there is anything in WINE that would permit or prevent it from working with a removable device ... or is the issue not that we're discussing the OS but that we're talking about a hardware driver, which won't work anyway?

Still trying to clarify some of the basics, I guess ...

--
CL