[tlug] Re: [tlug-admin] TLUG Articles: "Windows Is Free: The impact of pirated software on free software", by Dave Gutteridge

Josh Glover wrote:
On 13/08/07, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

I think we really need to use articles for the canonical URI.  The
canonical URI should be meaningful.  articles/xxx tells us that xxx is
an article identified by xxx.  pub doesn't really tell us anything we
about the xxx resource.

Well, I was thinking about "pub" as being short for "publications", but if you think article is better, that is cool.

OK, my first thought was pub as in the public folder on an ftp site. Publications to me, tends to suggests that the article has been published in a technical journal.

So should the keitai URI be http://tlug.jp/pub/winfree.html or
http://tlug.jp/a/winfree.html? articles is just too long.

Is the issue inputing the URI or size limits for URI length?

My first preference would be to have the URI's the same and have them redirected to the appropriate file by a parameter, something like.

# keitai version
http://tlug.jp/a/winfree/
 permanent redirect -> [1]http://tlug.jp/articles/Windows-Is-Free?mobile
server side rewrite ->
 http://tlug.jp/articles/Windows-Is-Free.kaitai.html

# full size html version
http://tlug.jp/articles/Windows-Is-Free
server side rewrite  ->
 http://tlug.jp/articles/Windows-Is-Free.full.html

This would give us a simple approach for adding new serializations or even translations. i.e.

Japanese translation

http://tlug.jp/articles/Windows-Is-Free?lang=ja

> a) you serve mobile and PC content from separate URIs, and

Curt, when you talked about having separate URI for mobile and content was this because content negotiation doesn't work or are there other issues. Would the above approach work?

Edward

1. There should be a parameter for specifying a specific display device. I couldn't find it with a quick google.