Re: [tlug] CD & FLAC Players: M-Audio/Midiman

On 8/13/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> Actually, I find that it's usually much easier to bail on the sound card
> issue, buy any old cheap thing that's got a digital output, and plug
> that into the digital input on your amp. That might well fix the sound
> quality issues with the DVD player, too.

Ah... then maybe it would be better to scrap my 85Wx2 Denon amp (no
digital inputs) and get a new amp then.  Thanks for mentioning this -
I hadn't considered the angle that the cheap DVD player just has a
lousy digital to analog converter, but may well sound fine using the
digital out.  New hardware - there's no end of the desire for more and
better devices....

Incidentally, the amp sounds great when it's fed a clean signal, but I
picked it up new for Y6,000 in Akihabara.  I always figured the lack
of anything other than Power; Volume; & Balance controls (input
switching is handled via a device originally meant for video) was the
reason it was so cheap, but in 2002 (when I bought it), a more modern
amp would have had digital inputs....  Sometimes you get what you pay
for!

Lyle