RE: [tlug] [IME] :P Which IME does everyone use?

burlingk@example.com writes:

 > I just think that who ever is working on the
 > SCIM packages for Debian and Ubuntu should
 > recreate the package so that it installs
 > all the settings needed to work out of the
 > box.

Easier said than done.  Anthy is easy to do.  The Anthy developers
decide how things are going to work, code it up, and the package
maintainer links it in, in between the app's input buffer and the
keyboard.  It's the app's problem.

For server-based IMs, there is a protocol between the app and the
server, and often another between the server and the backend.  Whether
that protocol is implemented correctly is up to the apps and the
backends, as well as the server-in-the-middle.  Apps like Firefox and
OOo, however, require very complex behavior of the server.