Learning Subtle Sound Differences . . . . . (was: Re: [tlug] Re: austart.sh for Openbox in Ubuntu)

Simon Cozens wrote:

> So [my language teacher's] remedy for them is to repeat the phrase
> "boku ha baka desu" until they stop saying "poku ha paka desu"...

I hope the teacher does more than just that.

What I find useful are _pairs_ of words or phrases,
where the only difference between them,
is the one that the student does not hear.

For example, I've used the following.

    seen | sheen
   ------+-------
    sin  | shin

Between each vertical and horizontally adjacent words, there is
only one sound change. At first, I just alternate between a
vertical or horizontal pair, or give the student control,
where I say the word they point to. Later I try to randomize
between pairs and have the student point to what they hear.
It's hard; they struggle and learn.
If I just repeat one word or phrase ad naseum,
the students have no clue what they are doing wrong,
do not change, and do not learn.

I need to write a program to automate this,
preferably for Linux, or a live-CD.

Jim