Re: [tlug] Email encoding for DoCoMo and AU (was: font/char set question)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

This came through perfectly on the DoCoMo, but I got 文字化け on the AU.

Try it without base64 encoding it.

Curt, this is precisely why sticking with Shit_JIS for both web and
email is the only reasonable thing to do, outside detecting each
handset and handling it appropriately.

Actually, ISO-2022-JP is more broadly supported for Japanese e-mail than Shift_JIS, from my experience.

You claim that AU *should* handle UTF-8 in email, and I certainly
believe you, but here is at least one (corner?) case where it does not
work.

You've not proven that UTF-8 doesn't work; you've proven that UTF-8 with base64 encoding doesn't work. Does Shift_JIS work when base64 encoded?

cjs