Re: [tlug] Learning to Program

Hi,

> On Saturday 04 August 2007 15:51:37 Shawn wrote:
> > > What about a lego robot using Java?
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Mindstorms
> >
> > Apparently C, C++, Lisp, and many others work with it as well.
> >
> > Kinda a pricey toy at $250+ but... hmmn...
>
> I have never had the pleasure of trying it out myself, but it looks fun!

Yeah I'm sold.

> Since it supports a variety of languages, perhaps it would be fun to
> experiment with them all and get a feel for the different styles of
> programming.

I think so too.  I did notice that there is a limit to how many times
you can replace the firmware which you'd be doing to switch languages.

from http://www.variantpress.com/books/maximum-lego-nxt-errata

There is a theoretical limit to the number of times you can
replace the firmware on your NXT before it wears out. Every time
you replace the firmware, a piece of data called a lock bit is used
up. This bit is rated to work 100 times ...(but) Most engineers agree
that the lock bit will last far in excess of 100 times.

> If you are interested in Java, but are hesitant to dole out $250+ for
> MindStorms, there is an educational project started by IBM AlphaWorks called
> RoboCode:
> http://robocode.sourceforge.net/

Wow.  Serious stuff.  The discussion on the forums about whether you
needed to know trigonometry or not to aim the thing was most
enlightening.

Shawn