Re: [tlug] Learning to Program

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, tlug@example.com wrote:

While I truly believe that every computer scientist should study different
paradigms of programming, including functional, I think it is (still)
beneficial to take a bottom-up approach so that they understand how
everything fits together and works...

Which is why I suggested _The Little Schemer_, because it teaches two of the most basic things in computing science: handling of lists and recursion.

Note that it does not teach functional programming; you could just as
easily write a version of the book that uses Ruby instead of Scheme.

I share many of the same sentiments and have expressed similarly strong
opinions in the past.  We have "turned out okay," however...

Sure, but in my case, at least, at the cost of wasting a lot of time.

cjs