Re: [tlug] Emergency nomikai August 17th?

On 03/08/07, Brett Robson <tlug@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> > Gawd, Aussies sure have lots of words for the juices of the barley. :)
>
> Yes, but ale isn't really an obscure term!

No, it isn't. Sorry, my statement was made in this context:

> > Keith provided a list so astounding that I still have not recovered.

> Beer falls roughly into two categories. Ale which is top fermented and
> lager which is bottom fermented.

Very good summary!

> In general I find that people who are critical of beer and are
> prescriptive about what "real beer" should be, just don't like lager.

Those people probably need to lighten up. I am a hobbyist beer
critic[1], and I enjoy both ale and lager (not to mention stout,
porter, IPA, pilsener, and even mead). Most poor beers tend to be
lagers, as they are cheaper to produce, AFAIK (and please correct me
if I am wrong, AFAYK), so I think this is why lager gets a bad name,
because there are far more bad lagers out there than bad ales.

Beer tasting is a great hobby, because unlike wine tasting, you don't
have to spit it out after you taste. Unless it is some shitty beer
indeed. ;)

If you want to get started, here is an excellent guide:

http://ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=103

> Yebisu is good beer, especially the hilariously named seasonal version
> THE HOP, and if you don't like it you don't like lager.

I agree, most Yebisu beers are pretty decent. THE HOP is good, and I
love their stout^W Schwarzbier[2] (damn! I didn't know that Yebisu
Black[3] was not a stout!).

> and I'm thirsty.

Makes two of us. :)

[1] http://ratebeer.com/ViewUser.asp?UserID=55293