Re: [tlug] Emergency nomikai August 17th?

On 03/08/07, Nguyen Vu Hung <vu-hung@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover さんは書きました:
>
> > On 02/08/07, steven smith <sjs@example.com> wrote:
> >
> >> And how big is a boot?
> >
> > Depends on the size of your car, mate. ;)
>
> Can you translate this ( American? ) joke into other languages? :D

Sure. But then it isn't funny. :)

「トランクはどのぐらい大きい?」
「まあ、車によって違うけどさ。」

寒い、でしょう?

The joke here actually hinges on the fact that "boot" in Commonwealth
English (i.e. British, Aussie, New Zealand, and Canadian? is Canadian
English considered Commonwealth? I guess not, at least not any more)
means "trunk of a car" in American English.

I guess there is a meta-joke in that I, an American, am making this
joke with another American, but I know there are enough proper English
speakers on this list to "get" my joke. It may not amuse them, but
that is a separate issue. :)

> Drinking beer with a boot? I think there must be some neta behind I
> don't know.

A boot is a German conveyance for beer, apparently. I've never seen
one; to me, a boot of beer conjures up images of an old Mini or MG or
something, with the boot (trunk) absolutely stuffed full of cans of
Spitfire or something (wishful thinking, I guess).

> Perhaps my English never reach this level: Understand and making joke in
> English.

Shit, you should hear my 「冗談」 in Japanese; I don't think I've ever
made one that was proclaimed by even one listener as そんなに寒くない。 ;)

> Any tips?

Read. A lot. And watch British and American comics to see how they do
it. The best tip I can give you is that it is more in how you deliver
a "joke" than the contents.

I can tell a shaggy dog story that leaves 'em clutching their sides
(except, apparently, for one Dr. Turnbull that I am never talking to
again), but I have not really said anything "funny", it is just my
outrageous characterisations and flailing around with my pint glass
that makes it amusing. :)

頑張れ!

--
Cheers,