[tlug] Learning to Program

Curt Sampson writes:
 > That said, I'd certainly have no objection to Smalltalk as a starting
 > language, if there were a similar book for it.

How about Haskell?  There's a book on the 'net somewhere called
"100 Haskell Questions with Answers" or something like that.  It's
nowhere near as amusing as "The Little Schemer", but it does make
learning basic programming in Haskell easy (at least for somebody who
already mostly understood functional programming by then).

Although I have to admit that the higher order functions I write are
mostly implicit (ie, Lisp macros). :-)