Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

Keith Bawden wrote:
This seems to be a catch 22. we need to put keywords in so an
automated tool can then match said keywords with a job description.
However if we use too much technical jargon (which is likely to be the
bulk of the keywords) we will confuse some poor sap who has a resume
flagged for his attention.
As an IT recruiter, I'm way way way too late on this thread, and I have too many things to say about making a good IT resume... maybe I should make a tips wiki and post it.

Key points were already raised; I highly recommend a separate technical skills section (beginning is better) so that way you can talk about projects and major accomplishments in the work history without letting jargon get in the way-- that allows HR people to see what they want to see (i.e. "project management of a team of 5 developers") and allows IT hiring managers to see what they want to see (i.e., "Language Skills: C++/Java (5 years), PHP/Perl (3 years)").

Anyhow, one quick comment to Keith:

Not /all/ IT recruiters are poor saps who don't know anything about the technical jargon their candidates are working with. ;) Just /most/ of them.

Cheers,
Mark