Re: [tlug] meaning of dprofpp output

Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> 1. What is the meaning of "Total Elapsed Time"?,
> Why Total Elapsed Time = 450 seconds which is not equal to
> sum of all ExclSec below?

You need to understand the difference between wallclock time and process
time. Wallclock time is how long a process actually runs for; process
time is the amount of CPU it got. Try looking at
http://docs.babitch.com/O'Reilly/unix/upt/ch39_05.htm

> 2. Can I conclude that sub routine REMOVED1 is the cause
> to the performance issue? It takes 7.3 seconds to be excuted.

Possibly, but it sounds like you're more concerned about the other 7
minutes than the 7 seconds. Is your code doing lots of network access on
slow sites? Calling out to dodgy database queries?

As for the 7 seconds taken up by REMOVED1, this may be because it has a
lot of work to do - this is normal for programs that do things; if you
have subroutines which don't take any time it's because they don't do
anything!

If it's hanging for 7 minutes, though, then you need to look at IO. I
would try stopping Apache, and running "strace apache -D" (or maybe
"strace httpd -D" depending on your distribution) and seeing what system
calls are being made that are stopping it. This will produce a lot of
output, but the only lines you're really interested in are the lines
around the time then it hangs for a noticable period.

--
<Twofish> Pokemon seems an evil concept. Kid hunts animals, and takes
them from the wild into captivity, where he trains them to fight, and