Re: font/char set question: Chinese Amazon charset . . . . . . . [tlug]

On 29/07/07, jep200404 <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> Since the text was Chinese, I thought I'd try the Chinese Amazon
> web page. I had same results as with amazon.jp, but what's
> interesting are the headers.

I wonder if Joyo Amazon (amazon.cn) uses Gurupa yet? I know that the
assimilation process has been a slow one, and their website platform
was pretty crappy, technically, when we bought them two years ago.

>    [jep@example.com ~]$ wget -S -O /dev/null http://amazon.cn/ 2>&1 | grep Content-Type
>    [jep@example.com ~]$
>
> I'm a little surprised that there's no mention of a charset.

That does strike me as odd. Could it be that there is one Chinese
encoding that is assumed to be used?

I imagine in 1999 Japan, there was little mention of charset, and
people just assumed Shit_JIS would be the default. I wonder if the
situation in China is similar. I unfortunately know next to nothing
about Chinese encodings; perhaps another TLUGger who is up on this
stuff can fill us in.

> Then there's the following:
>
>    [jep@example.com ~]$ wget -S -O /dev/null http://amazon.jp/ 2>&1 | grep Vary
>      Vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
>    [jep@example.com ~]$ wget -S -O /dev/null http://amazon.cn/ 2>&1 | grep Vary
>      Vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
>    [jep@example.com ~]$

Seems like it attempts to auto-detect charset on a per-UserAgent
basis, would you concur? Is this in an RFC somewhere?

--
Cheers,
Josh