[tlug] font/char set question

I just had something interesting happen.  The string below
came across in another list:
现代汉语词典
It's the name of a Chinese Kanji dictionary.

I searched for it on amazon.jp.  The search dialog looked ok
when I pasted but the return was:
"Your search "代典" did not match any products."
and the dialog looked like : 代典
I don't know what this will look like on other browsers.

What am I hitting here?  Is the font used in the
Amazon.co.jp non utf-8 (iso2022-jp maybe)?  Do they use a
utf-8 that doesn't support the (I'm assuming) chinese only
kanji in this string?  Is there a translation between
character sets going on somewhere that's dropping the
chinese characters?

Does anyone know what is going on or would you care to take
an educated guess?

I'm guessing this belongs in tlug rather than lingo and will
post there first.

Thanks
Steve S.