Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

I think what he means is that since Windows is built into the price of
the machine, just as OS X is built into the price of a Mac, people
don't really regard it as something that they paid for (although in
fact they did, of course).

No, what I'm saying is that when I went out shopping for a laptop, I chose this one over cheaper ones without a Windows license, because even with the extra cost of an OS that I never use tacked on, the machine was still a better value for me. Essentially, I set the cost of Windows at nothing.

FWIW, it is possible to get a new Thinkpad [with] Linux; Emperor Linux
sells them with Linux pre-installed. One thing I'm very curious about
is if they have to pay the Windows tax when they get them, or does
Lenovo (and IBM before it) sell bare Thinkpads to Emporer? Anyone got a
contact there?

From http://www.emperorlinux.com/quality/value/distros/dualboot/ :

We don't do any Windows installs, or have any resources to do so, but we can easily shrink the existing Windows partition and put Linux on the rest of your disk.

    There is usually no extra charge for the dual-boot configuration.
    The prices on this site reflect a free dual-boot with Windows XP
    Home, which originally comes on the machines from the manufacturer.

cjs