Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On 7/28/07, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
> Pre-installed Windows on a computer is more like buying a pair of jeans.
> My Levis have rivets. I suspect they would work perfectly well without
> rivets.

But that's hardware!  I would never go into a store and object to the
type of sound chip on the motherboard and demand that it be taken off!
 It's not an option.  Removing software from a machine however, is an
easy option!

Re (from JB): "I think what he means is that since Windows is built
into the price of the machine, just as OS X is built into the price of
a Mac, people don't really regard it as something that they paid for
(although in fact they did, of course)."

Okay.  I'm good with that.  I am personally conscious of the fact that
some of my money is going to Microsoft when I buy a new
off-the-assembly-line machine, but if it "seems like it's free" to
some people, that's their choice.  I personally think they are
ignoring the big picture when they do that though.  Because you can't
see something, doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there.  Because the
cost of Windows isn't itemized, doesn't mean it's free.  If he had
bought an Epson and seen the Y10,000 price itemized on his bill, he
probably would have had a feeling of having spent that money -
willingly or not.

Lyle