Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On 7/27/2007, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

>But to not publish it on TLUG because it is "too long" is simply ludicrous, cf.
>
>http://tlug.linux.or.jp/docs/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-paper-jp.html

We need to attach some definition to "long." When I (and others) say
it's too long, we mean it's long like a a paper that someone wrote in
six pages, then found out the teacher required an eight page paper so we
found ways of inflating the world count without adding any actual
content.

WRT The Cathedral and the Bizarre, I'm sure that many (if not all) of
ERS's drafts were longer than the final copy that he showed to the
world. I'm also sure that it had a number of editors other than ERS
himself, and they doubtless left a lot of words on the cutting room
floor.

>Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in you lot.

For having high standards of writing? C'mon, Josh, if the language was C
instead of English, would you still be saying this? We may not be
addressing the matter with kid gloves on, but this is a LUG, not high
tea.

>[1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/retrogaminghks/

This is actually a nice example of what I expect. It says a lot in a
small space. It is not wordy and does not meander. If the essay were
written like that, no one would be having this conversation. We'd like
to help it be like that, though.

Cheers,

Jonathan