RE: [tlug] [C&C] AAC is lossy, FLAC is lossless

burlingk@example.com writes:

 > To be honest, 8-tracks had better sound quality when they
 > were new than the cassette tapes that replaced them.

IIRC, that was true for the el-cheapo prerecorded tapes, but the sound
quality of tapes I recorded was at least as good for cassettes as
anything I ever heard on 8-track (although that may have been due to
the players).  I didn't buy prerecorded tapes (in any format) much, as
they were too fragile to be my primary archive.

 > They were designed to withstand wear better also.

Could be, but I lost an awful lot of 8-tracks that were eaten by the
player.  You could get a cassette player to do that by pulling out a
loop of tape before putting it in the player, but 8-tracks did it for
free.  You could also rewind a cassette by hand if there was a loop
hanging out, but IIRC that was untrue for 8-tracks---you had to hope
the player would DTRT.