Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On 24/07/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

> Of course. Joel has a interesting and amusing look at his process here:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/SortingResumes.html

Though I don't agree with a lot of his other thoughts, Joel is dead on
with this.

I can see now why we are on the opposite side of so many software engineering issues. I am firmly in the Joel Camp on nearly everything. :)

I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree with much of what
you say. If it works for you, great; it would certainly not work for
me or for almost every programmer I have ever worked with. I think in
your case, you have a special situation: you are running your own
company, full of like-minded people, and you have the final say over
what happens.

Most of what you recommend is simply not applicable at a big company;
I might get fired outright for practising what you preach, and
rightfully so.

I really think the issue comes down to what Steve points out: the
XP-centric approach you use really does not scale to a) large teams,
or b) programmers who are not in the top %1. (Please read that as a
compliment; based on everything I know of you, I am pretty confident
in my opinion that you are firmly in the top %1 of software
engineers.)

Hopefully one of these days, I will have the opportunity to put my
money where my mouth is, as you and Joel have done. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh